Monday, May 19, 2014

Down at the Pub ...


Went yesterday to an open blues/rock jam at a pub on the West Slope, twixt Beaverton and Portland, off Canyon Road, place called The Lehrer. Probably fifteen players, mostly guitars, but there was a sax, harmonica, keyboard, a cello, and a soprano uke to go with my tenor.

The venue features live music most nights, and business is apparently not all that good, but it's a nice-sized place, pool tables, pizza, burgers, like that. You are in the neighborhood, drop by and support them ...

Good selection of songs, ranging from "Nobody Knows You When You Are down and Out," to "All Along the Watchtower." Couple of little kids with their father, a teenage girl who had a terrific voice, and players older and younger than I.


Somebody would offer to lead a song. They'd write the chords on a whiteboard, and then we were off. Had to figure out when to switch chords on your own, and you either knew the words or not, but the group was surprisingly tight. 
I didn't take a solo, nor did I get up and lead a song at the mike, but I strummed away pretty good, put a couple of scratches on the uke, wabi-sabi ...  


Aside: Wabi-sabi, a Japanese concept about aesthetics, is fascinating. Three basic tenets: Nothing is perfect, nothing is finished, nothing lasts ...  

Next time, I'll try a solo break, and maybe even offer to get up and lead a song. Hubba, hubba ...

Acoustic, in that most of us weren't plugged in save the keyboard and a bass player, but the song leader had mikes for vox and whatever instrument s/he played.

Fine time, good dark beer, three hours. My beautiful spouse sat at a table nearby, nursed a beer, and crocheted ...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The major problem with the place is that the food is mediocre or worse. Drinks are ok, though. I usually go once or twice a month, when someone I like is playing, but I eat beforehand.
TL may not get a lot of business on Sunday night, but come early if someone like Duffy Bishop, or DK Stewart, or Soul Vac is playing.

Steve Perry said...

Didn't eat anything, so I dunno; I figure between the beer and some nights, the cover, I'll contribute something.

William Adams said...

Isn't there a Japanese word which indicates that an article has a acquired a worn patina, w/ the specific implication that the object is better for said wear and is not so nice when new and unworn?

Dojo Rat said...

I haven't checked in for a while, the pub scene sounds great,

-J @ DR