Monday, September 26, 2011

Orycon


Got a tentative schedule of panels and readings and such for the upcoming Orycon, in November. I usually spend part of one day there, meet folks for coffee or lunch, do my thing, and come home. Don't party like I used to, back in the mists of history.


The thing I found interesting is that my reading and autographing sessions are right next to those of William F. Nolan. 


I knew he lived up here somewhere, and that he was at a couple of Orycon's past, though I never ran into him.


Nolan has been writing since before the invention of the wheel, the man is old enough to be my father, but if you don't know the name, you probably know the movie based on the book he co-wrote with George Clayton Johnson, Logan's Run.


This was kind of the ultimate silly 70's sci-fi movie, nowhere near as good as the book. Supposedly, there's remake in the works, though I can't see that it cries out for that any more than the Smurfs did. 


Still, I'd guess there's a moldy cardboard box in the back of Steve's garage or up in the attic that has a couple of Nolan books in it from when I was a dewy-eye teenager. Box is probably right next to the fanboy membership card that is mostly-unused, but still valid ...


I expect my reading this time will be one of the Roy the Demon stories. I can chew the scenery pretty good with one of those.

No comments: