Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Ears

So, I went to have my hearing checked and see about what new electronic gizmos that might be out there. They fitted me for a pair of itty-bitty marvels and let me walk around the inside of the Costco to see how they worked. 

They worked really well. And there was a remote, about the size of a pack of gum, with which I could change the programs, volume, etc, at the touch of a button, and check the battery levels of the instruments, too. 

Amazing place to be living, here in the future. 

So, a week or so, I'll go back and get the things, which come in different colors. I ordered mine in gray, to match my hair ...

The picture? Well, it doesn't have anything to do with hearing aids, but I came across it and though it was neat. That's Nikola Tesla in the chair, the inventor, who, save for better luck on the parts of George Westinghouse and Thomas Edison, would have been filthy rich and famous as the father of electricity. Tesla had a lot more to do with the process than Westinghouse, but George was a better businessman. Ain't that always the way of it?

The image is a double-exposure -- otherwise Tesla would have risked getting barbecued by the discharges, which ran to more than a million volts ...

1 comment:

Viro said...

From what I saw on the History Channel, Tesla ripped up his contract with Westinghouse, because, even though it would have made Tesla rich, it would have bankrupt Westinghouse in the process.