Friday, July 04, 2008

Three is the Number and the Number is Three ...

Been an interesting week, in the terms of the Chinese curse kind of interesting ...

Monday, I broke the ill-designed battery cover door on my new hearing aid -- second time in three months. Had the old one for six years, never did that. This time, they didn't have a replacement, so they had to send it back to the factory. So I get to say "Eh? What's that, sonny?" a lot until it gets fixed. Fourth of July weekend throws a monkey wrench into the idea of getting it in any kind of hurry.

Thursday, I was pulling out of a driveway in my spiffy little Mini convertible and managed to hook the end of a ladder that was tangled up in a pile of junk under the front wheel well on the passenger side, the result of which was to peel the bumper cover, a nice plastic fairing with my license plate and parking lights, off. Made for an interesting drive home, with it on the front seat. Fourth of July weekend, nobody in the car biz is open, and it'll be at least Monday before I find out how much it is going to cost me.

I cannot imagine it will be cheap, and I have a high deductible on my insurance.

Today, my computer started doing funny things, and not funny ha-ha, but funny, Aw, crap! I have run TechTool and rebuilt file structures, but I fear it is a hardware problem, and, given how old the sucker is, probably the hard disk drive. I have made double back-ups of all my work files, just in case it goes ka-blooey.

Plus, my wife has an upset stomach ...

Never a dull moment.

3 comments:

Bobbe Edmonds said...

I'm really sorry to hear this, Steve. I go through the occasional bad week myself, and the 4th has put some things for me on hold as well. I keep my computer off during the day, if I can help it. Too damn hot. Writing after dark is starting to be my motto.

J.D. Ray said...

A scooter weenie ran a stop sign a few weeks ago, rounded a corner and smashed into the back of a Honda Element driving down the street before careening into our Volvo wagon parked in front of the restaurant we were eating at. The police arrived, followed closely by the ambulance to haul the kid off, who lay on the pavement screaming in pain. Of course he had no insurance.

Took the car in for a damage estimate for the scratches and scars on the rear bumper. Jim Fisher Volvo's body shop said the most economical way to do the repair was to replace the whole bumper cover for a mere $642.89. Dunno if Minis are in the same price range, but I'm betting they're close, being made by BMW.

Sorry to hear about your crappy week. Chin up, it might get better.

Mark Jones said...

I heard a BANG! outside the house Friday night--not a firework bang--and then a car alarm. I went to look and spotted a small white car attempted to back up. It tried two or three times as I hastened down the front steps to get a better look.

The driver managed to pull free of the other car (parked in front the neighbor's house) and zoom off before I could get the license number. Or even identify the make. Great 4th of July present for the neighbors (who are in Hawaii and get to come home to this).

The asshole must've been going pretty fast, because he slammed the car he hit into the car parked close behind, and it was that car which had an alarm....